Re: virtualhost on localhost with .htaccess

That looks about right. The only reason (that I can think of) for using .htaccess files is if you want to devolve control of a virtualhost to the person who has write access to the documentroot (where you'd normally store the .htaccess file, thought they can also be used in subdirectories as well). This requires a degree of trust between you (the server owner) and the owner of the virtualhost, depending on which powers you give away.

I run apache under my Windows XP, and have two or three virtualhosts, but they all belong to me, so I don't bother with .htaccess - but if you run into problems, I can tinker with my own system to help work out what you need to do. I'm somewhat familiar with htaccess from my www.swiftys.org.uk site, as that is hosted for me, and I'm obliged to configure it using .htaccess

Incidentally, my main reason for using VirtualHosts is to intercept people who send requests to my IP address (81.2.123.82) rather than the hostname (swiftys.org.uk). Requests to the IP address will go to the default VirtualHost, and that blocks all accesses.