Re: No Content-Type header despite DefaultType directive

On 12/06/2011 11:13 AM, Tom Evans wrote:
On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
<dennisml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to get Apache to send a file with the filename "test" that
contains html through a filter for the mime type text/html. The problem is
that even when I set a DefaultType in .htaccess the response doesn't contain
a Content-Type header. The browser actually displays the content as html
(probably by guessing) but since the response itself doesn't contain an
explicit mime type the filter does not get applied.

Shouldn't Apache always set a mime type when I use DefaultType?

Regards,
  Dennis

Are you sure it doesn't set the type, and just not run it through the filter?

There is a big warning on AddOutputFilterByType that it will not fire
if the type is determined from DefaultType.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#addoutputfilterbytype

There is not Content-Type header in the response so it's not just the filter issue. I noticed though that DefaultType is deprecated in 2.3 and does nothing so that will not work anyway.

Now I'm wondering how I can best implement such a behavior myself. One idea is to implement a filter that checks if the Content-Type header is not set to simply insert it as let's say "text/html". The question is if that would result in the "real" filters defined for "text/html" actually processing the response. If I have two filters A and B in a FilterChain and A manipulates the Content-Type does filter B then process the response based on that change?
My expectation would be that it does.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Why was the DefaultType directive deprecated and why didn't AddOutputFilterByType operate on responses that had their type set using it?

Regards,
  Dennis