No Content-Type header despite DefaultType directive

Hi,
I am trying to get Apache to send a file with the filename "test" that contains html through a filter for the mime type text/html. The problem is that even when I set a DefaultType in .htaccess the response doesn't contain a Content-Type header. The browser actually displays the content as html (probably by guessing) but since the response itself doesn't contain an explicit mime type the filter does not get applied.

Shouldn't Apache always set a mime type when I use DefaultType?

Regards,
  Dennis