From: "Yehuda Katz" <yehuda@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:36 PM
To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Intermittent access to web address

My message was caught by the list's spam filter the first time around.
Let's try again...

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Webmaster Bill
<webmasterbill@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is my first try at running a web site from a spare computer at home.

You should make sure that this is not against the terms of service of
your provider (in this case, Comcast,
http://go.ymkatz.net/comcast-net-aup).

To get right to your problem:

Changes I made in httpd.conf file:

# Change this to Listen on specific IP addresses as shown below to
# prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses. #
#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
Listen 76.18.232.237:80

# ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify
itself.
# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you
specify
# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup. #
# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address
here.
#
ServerName www.thepictureshow.net:80

You need to set Apache to listen on the computer's local address, then
have your router forward the traffic from the public (comcast owned)
network to your internal network.
You will have another problem with that setup, since it appears that
your server does not have a static IP address.
In the error log that you supplied, your server has the address
192.168.1.102, which is in the address range usually assigned
automatically by your router.
If the computer does not have a fixed IP address, it is not possible
for your router to forward the traffic from the public network to your
private network.

- Y