Re: Apache Gui - opinions please

Hi Joshua,

It's been since the 2.0 days I had a peak at Apache GUI... I personally did not like it at all.
I found it quicker to just open the config file in notepad++

In the end I ended up writing my own tools like http://code.google.com/p/vhm-mysql/ (outdate and honestly not good) I replaced it with a command-line perl script (not release, to specific).

From my experience it's that parsing and rewriting the httpd.conf does not work well and is difficult to turn into a GUI. I gave up looking for a generic tool long ago.

I found it easier to use a db back-end and write a .net app/perl script to generated the needed configuration based on that.

So if you are looking for generate GUI... you are probably out of luck.

I hope this was at least somewhat helpful.

Kind regards

~Jorge

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Joshua Stoutenburg <jehoshua02@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wrowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 9/15/2011 12:14 AM, Joshua Stoutenburg wrote:
>> I'm looking for a GUI tool to manage my servers, and wanted to see
>> what response this one would get.
>
> Then, we assume as a user who is willing to do a bit of homework
> up front, you would have posted some of the pros and cons of what
> you had uncovered, and asked if others agreed, or had noticed
> something very different than your experience.  There are many, and
> nobody has seriously taken up the mantle of building a good config
> tool for quite some time.  Lokahi languished in the ASF incubator
> for lack of contributions, Comanche died from the 2.0 transition
> and the difficulty parsing and reassembling httpd.conf syntax.
>
> But you didn't, and I trust my gut assumption is still correct based
> on some 10 years of following this list.

I apologize for clashing with your assumptions.

I was hoping for a candid review of Apache GUI, primarily from people
who know the apache server in and out and can immediately identify how
this tool might fall short.

I am in no way associated with Apache GUI.  Someone, I believe on this
mailing list, recommended I have a look at it.

Honestly, my gut feeling is that Apache GUI isn't worth the paid
license.  I'm going to keep looking.