Re: KeepAlive setting under heavy load

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Pratte, Gil <Gil.Pratte@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have read conflicting reports regarding the KeepAlive setting. Under load
> the website has hundreds to thousands of users logged in at any given time.
> I am in the process of tuning it for performance under load.
>
> My question is: Should I set KeepAlive to On or Off for a website under
> heavy load?

Throw in another knob...  KeepAlive On with a small value for
KeepAliveTimeout can reduce thread usage significantly but preserve
much of the benefit.

Consider KeepAlive On + KeepAliveTimeout 1...  That won't hold the
connection open across end-user interaction, but it will hold it open
to satisfy some expected sequences of requests (e.g., to pull down
images/stylesheets/etc. referenced from a new page).