Re: KeepAlive setting under heavy load

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Pratte, Gil <Gil.Pratte@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have read conflicting reports regarding the KeepAlive setting. Under load
> the website has hundreds to thousands of users logged in at any given time.
> I am in the process of tuning it for performance under load.
>
> My question is: Should I set KeepAlive to On or Off for a website under
> heavy load?
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies to this post.
>
> gil pratte

It really depends on what the webserver is doing. In some scenarios it
is worth having it enabled, in others you definitely want it disabled.

For instance, all requests to our websites are funnelled through our
front end proxies. These run Apache with the event MPM, and either
serve static content off disk, or proxy to backends. These servers all
run with keep alive enabled where possible between them and the
client.

The backend servers are a combination of things, but mostly they all
have one thing in common - they run heavyweight python/C/C++ web
services, typically using prefork on apache, and each child uses a lot
of resources. Therefore, when the reverse proxy frontend talks to
these servers, keep alive is disabled - servers are in the same data
centre so we have quick connection times, and keeping heavyweight
processes idle waiting for keep alives wastes resources.

Cheers

Tom