Re: Modular .htaccess files

I think the one gem in this email is the following:

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Jeroen Geilman <jeroen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2011-08-15 12:34, lists.sebastian@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> If one puts all these things into one big file, it can become confusing
>> and hard to maintain. It would be easier to keep track of these things if
>> you could do something like this:
>>
>> [Content of .htaccess]
>> # Some common directives ...
>> # ...
>> # Include more .htaccess files:
>> Include .htaccess-botrestrictions
>> Include .htaccess-keepalivelegacyurls
>> Include .htaccess-fancyseourls
>
> httpd.conf fully supports this.

In the above way, the administrator could delegate control of portions
of the configuration to a user without the overhead of an .htaccess
file. Also, you could include a file which in turn includes other
files. Thus, the administrator could delegate via httpd.conf a config
file to the user which in turn could delegate to a set of files. This
would give you localized management in a set of files.

As of now .htaccess is a poor performing solution, thus it is not
important to make it even more so. I use .htaccess files in shared
hosting environments only. I don't use them where I have access to
httpd.conf. However, I DO make use of the include directive to spread
configuration out into multiple files.

I think the way things are today is good and not in need of
improvement in the way you suggest. Most of what you want can be
accomplished using the above method, now to convince your server
administrator.