Re: Re: Modular .htaccess files

Uhmm, actually, I'm a bit disappointed. I wasn't unfriendly and I'm not aware of having done anything wrong. However, your answer sounds quite a little bit aggressive to me. I didn't mean to offend anyone. It was just an idea on .htaccess - nothing evil and I didn't mean mischief.

> That is the only reason.

- It's easier to deploy for users (just upload the archive contents including htaccess file and you're done).
- If you want others to be able to try/use the scripts, you cannot take root rights as given. Many people only have a shared hosting account without shell access.

Apache has .htaccess support. => People have the choice and they're allowed to use it.

> I furthermore suspect you have no idea what an "anti-bot IP restriction" actually means

This is an example of what I mean by aggressive writing style. I wrote about .htaccess (which is a feature you apparently cannot stand) and so you're getting unfriendly.

By inspecting the log files, I identified several specific IP address ranges (especially from China, but also Russia and Ukraine) which were used for spamming/flooding and hacking attempts. For example, a few attackers attempted to get into phpMyAdmin (tried several paths) which isn't even installed. I'm not talking about GoogleBot or Yahoo's crawler.

I totally agree: If one can write httpd.conf, they should put these directives into this file (or an included conf file). But that's not always possible.

> But should not be done at all.

It's just common practice. Many people are not satisfied with links such as index.php?cat=42&product=4321 and therefore, they want these SEO urls. Look at vBulletin, WordPress and many other popular software products. Or have a look at the homepages of the NY Times, Washington Post, Wikipedia, ...
It's absolutely common to hide a cgi-ish query string and display keyword containing text addresses to the users instead.
But actually, I didn't want to discuss about the pros and cons of SEO urls. The posting was just about the configuration option to let Apache read more than one .htaccess file.

> I wonder what you're selling, and why you expect apache.org to help you do it for free.

Well, it's an open source project. In the OSS world, it's not unusual that project participants volunteer free time to create nice and free software together. Feedback, feature requests, suggestions and ideas are appreciated in many open source communities. ;) So there was no offense intended. I suggest to calm down again and we'll just forget about the idea. ;) I'm sorry for having put the cat among the pigeons.