Slow transfer speed of AoE

Hi experts

I use Debian Jessie on two Banana-PI with kernel 3.19 and have installed aoe.ko, vblade and aoetools. Both systems are connected by Gbit LAN via a Gbit switch. The MTU is set at 1500 and can't be changed because the Ethernet driver does not support it for that hardware.

Without AoE, when I read/write data of 1GB size on the other system via nfs, I get speeds of 55 / 35 MB/s respectively. Writing is probably so much slower due to a bug in the Allwinner A20 silicone or somewhere in software.

However, if I map the drive of one system to the other via AoE and do reading/writing to this mapped raw device (/dev/etherd/e0.1), the speeds get very low, typically 21/7 MB/s respectively. Only when rather small amount of data like 150 MB files are transferred, the speed is higher like 35/25 MB/s.

I wonder why AoE is so slow and hope you can tell me what must be changed to get better transfer rates.

Many thanks!

TuxOholic