Re: (probably stupid) support&data integrity questions

* Killer{R}:

> 1) Do you have forum or support is only this maillist
> 2) Data integrity   - do somebody had any data cossuption due to AoE
> seems doesn't have anything to detect from-wire errors? I mean at
> first corrupted packets themselves (I know that in hardware ethernet
> check it.. usually but...)

A few years back I had some data corruption issues for which I blamed
insufficient network equipment (Linksys SLM-2008 gigabit switches,
IIRC). Under high load, the switches would send garbage and then reboot.

Every client would get its own VLAN -- untagged on the client side,
tagged on the server side, so that clients didn't share a broadcast
domain. Since the switch had to recalculate Ethernet checksums after
tagging/untagging frames, checking the checksums would not even have
helped.

Replacing the switches seems to have helped, but protocol-wise, there is
no protection against switches munging packets. I think that adding a
checksum, at least for the payload would be an appropriate addition to
the AoE protocol.

> and there'is another possible problem that seems is not addressed by
> AoE protocol: possible packets duplication on ethernet level that can
> be caused for example by bad network topology, failing hardware (I've
> seen semi-dead network switches that flooded ethernet segment with
> duplicated packets) and so on?

I don't see how duplicate frames could become a problem as their content
is left intact.

Cheers
-Hilko