Re: Error checking against data corruption viaethernet

* PongráczI:

> So, as I checked the Layer2, it has error checking as you wrote. So,
> as I understand now, data corruption cannot happen on layer2, because
> this basic CRC protection handle layer 1 issues which can happen in
> the physical layer.

This is only true if your Ethernet switch does not rewrite the frames as
it forwards them.

For example, you may want to use VLANs in order to separate initiators
that are connected to the one machine that exports multiple targets.
Using 802.1q-tagged VLANs on the target side and untagged VLANs for the
initiator is a good idea for doing this. However, the switch will have
to add/remove tags and recalculate the checksums. In such a case, the
checksum will not protect you against data corruption that may occur
within the switch.

Cheers,
-Hilko