----------------eredeti üzenet-----------------
Feladó: "Alexandre" <alxgomz@xxxxxxxxx>
Címzett: "PongráczI" <pongraczi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: "aoetools-discuss lists.sourceforge.net" <aoetools-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Dátum: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 10:24:10 +0100

I am not sure to understand against which type of error you want a protection/detection of.

Are you talking about corruption of data during the the transport over the wire?

Can you find the name of the feature implemented in iscsi you'd like to check for in aoe?

regards, Alex

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback! I try to explain my question in a better way :)

So, your first question is exactly my question: Are you talking about corruption of data during the the transport over the wire? Yes.

On the client side, I want to write to the disk a data, for example a binary data: 01111000001111100001111    I want to be sure, on the server side it will be written to the disk the same data: 01111000001111100001111

At this moment, I do not know, if an electrical noise or whatever will alter the data sent trough the wire, how will layer 2 and AoE handle that situation?

For example I wrote 'piano' on the client, but 'violin' will be written to the disk on the server, due to the corruption during the transport over the wire happens. Is that possible to get this kind of corruption, or layer2+AoE can catch this situation and can fix this kind of issues?

I use ZFS filesystem, it uses end-to-end data protection by using extra checksum to every block written to the disk. This can provide very good data protection, but would be nice to know, using AoE will not cause corruption in a SAN environment. Others, who use iscsi, always tell me, iscsi has checksum to detect transfer issues, while AoE has no this kind of protection, so, to get data corruption can happen and will be not detected. In fact, I never used iscsi, due to that comparing to AoE it is much more complicated and I saw several people had issues to get it running on their environment. AoE just works.

Thank you!

István

For example,