Re: AMDGPU: RX 6500 XT: System reset when loading module

Am 17.02.22 um 19:10 schrieb Cal Peake:
On Thu, 17 Feb 2022, Christian König wrote:

Ok, at least it doesn't sounds like it is the power supply.
I was able to procure an 800W PSU just to give it a try, and at first it
seemed to make a difference. The drivers would fully load, but after a
short amount of time things would become unstable and the system would
crash or reset. Very bizarre...

Maybe check if any of the capacitors on the motherboard or RX6500 looks damaged. Here are some examples what they normally look like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor

When capacitors are damaged they usually look like a balloon instead of a cylinder because electrolyte liquid inside started to boil because of a shortcut.

Capacitors are used to suppress voltage and spikes and valleys. When they are damaged the electronics might still work, but becomes unreliable.

Unfortunately not of hand. You could try to play around with the power flags,
but from your description it sounds like you already did that.

Only other option I see is to try a different motherboard and/or Windows with
that hardware. If that also doesn't work there must be some hardware fault on
the RX6500.
That was my thinking too. I got the idea to try Windows after I did the
PSU swap and, like Linux, it was okay at first, but then started crashing
and resetting. Either the card is defective or it really doesn't like my
motherboard.

That's a really strong evidence that you have a hardware problem here.

BTW: Where do you got that hardware from? Is it used or a new one? Was it maybe used for mining?

Regards,
Christian.

Thanks very much for your help!