Re: AMDGPU: RX 6500 XT: System reset when loading module

Hi Cal,

Am 14.02.22 um 18:45 schrieb Cal Peake:
Hi Christian,

Thanks for the reply.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2022, Christian König wrote:

well that sounds strongly like some hardware problem. What power supply do you
have in that system?

Right now, I've got it hooked up to a Corsair VX550W. It's on a test bench
so the only things hanging off the mobo at the moment are the GPU and a
pair of NVMe drives.

I'm also testing this system with a RTX 2060 Super and I have no problems
with that card, even under heavy load.

Ok, at least it doesn't sounds like it is the power supply.

 From your dmesg it looks like the kernel driver actually initializes fines. So
my educated guess is that as soon as the desktop tries to draw we suck to much
power and go into brown out reset.

I'm not even trying for a desktop yet, it's currently booting to runlevel 3 :-)

As mentioned above, the 2060 does just fine and its power needs are
significantly higher than that of the 6500.

It's possible that it's something with my particular motherboard. Michael
Larabel over at Phoronix did some performance testing[1] with this same
model card running on Ubuntu 22.04, seemingly without problem.

Do you have any suggestions for further troubleshooting?

Unfortunately not of hand. You could try to play around with the power flags, but from your description it sounds like you already did that.

Only other option I see is to try a different motherboard and/or Windows with that hardware. If that also doesn't work there must be some hardware fault on the RX6500.

Christian.

Thanks,