Re: 6.11/regression/bisected - after commit 1b04dcca4fb1, launching some RenPy games causes computer hang

On Sat, Sep 7, 2024 at 12:47 AM Leo Li <sunpeng.li@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Mikhail,
>
> I've tried to align my system with yours as best as I can, but so far, I've had
> no luck reproducing the hang. A video of what I'm doing:
> https://youtu.be/VeD-LPCnfWM?si=b2baF8MyDBuU4jRH
> (Under the hood, the W7900 and 7900xt should be the same)

I have done additional tests:
1. The computer does not hang with 6900XT instead the screen flickers
when moving the cursor.
2. The computer does not hang with 7900XTX if I turn off VRR. But the
screen flickers when moving the cursor, as on 6900XT.
To enable VRR, please set 'variable-refresh-rate' in
experimental-features, and in the Display setting, enable Variable
Refresh Rate.
$ gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features
"['variable-refresh-rate', 'scale-monitor-framebuffer']"
https://postimg.cc/PvXYdvGR

3. The chances of the problem reoccurring are much higher when running
the game "Play Innocence Or Money Season 1 - Episodes 1 to 3". There
is a free demo version.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1958390/Innocence_Or_Money_Season_1__Episodes_1_to_3/
Demonstration: https://youtu.be/XIe0pQYPVUo

> I have a few suggestions:
>
> First, can you also open an issue on the amd gitlab tracker? It gives more
> visibility to others, and makes working together a bit easier:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues
>
> Second, can you try adding "amdgpu.dcdebugmask=0x40" to your kernel cmdline at
> boot, and see if you can still repro the hang?
Yes. This didn't help.

> This setting disables hw planes. If it resolves the hang, then it's quite
> interesting, because it suggests that gnome may be using direct-scanout via hw
> planes. We may need to align our gnome configuration in that case, since I don't
> see any additional hw planes being used on my setup.
>
> Third, in case these two issues are related, can you give the attached patch on
> this issue thread a try as well?
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/3569#note_2558359
This patch also didn't help.

Maybe try to compile a kernel with the same config as mine and enable
VRR to repeat the problem?
I attached my build config to this message.

--
Best Regards,
Mike Gavrilov.