Re: [External] Re: alsa-lib: Add ucm support for whiskeylake sof-skl_hda_card audio

On 9/19/19 9:54 AM, Mark Pearson wrote:

Indeed UCM is required for all cases where SOF and PulseAudio are used.

Our thinking was however to add this UCM file to the new repository outside
of alsa-lib [1]. There is an on-going thread started by Jaroslav to move those
files and relicense them as BSD-3-Clause [2]

[1]
https://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2019-
July/153257.html
[2]
https://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2019-
September/155246.html

Thanks Pierre.

Do we have any approximate timelines on when and how this will happen? (I'm new to this)

One of my main aims is that we have a customer using Debian and one of our platforms that require this change - I need to make sure I understand how this would roll out and what actions they need to take in the meantime if it's not going to be available in Debian.

I think the first order would be to have the file cleaned-up, with its Intel origin clearly stated with a signed-off-by tag.

Then once this is done, the Debian package creation needs to be handled (using either the ALSA repo or the cloned version on SOF GitHub). I don't have any experience with Debian packages so can't really comment on the effort it would take.