Re: [BUG] bdw-rt5650 DSP boot timeout

On 2019-08-20 04:11, Jie, Yang wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Rojewski, Cezary
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:09 AM
To: Jie, Yang <yang.jie@xxxxxxxxx>; Jon Flatley <jflat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; Pierre-
Louis Bossart <pierre-louis.bossart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: benzh@xxxxxxxxxxxx; alsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Jie Yang
<yang.jie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Ranjani Sridharan
<ranjani.sridharan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; cujomalainey@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  [BUG] bdw-rt5650 DSP boot timeout

On 2019-08-19 04:33, Jie, Yang wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Flatley [mailto:jflat@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2019 5:25 AM
To: Pierre-Louis Bossart <pierre-louis.bossart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jon Flatley <jflat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; Jie, Yang <yang.jie@xxxxxxxxx>;
benzh@xxxxxxxxxxxx; alsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Ranjani Sridharan
<ranjani.sridharan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; cujomalainey@xxxxxxxxxxxx; Jie
Yang <yang.jie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:51 PM Pierre-Louis Bossart <pierre-
louis.bossart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There seems to be an issue when suspending the ALC5650. I think the
nondeterministic behavior I was seeing just had to do with whether
or not the DSP had yet suspended.

I reverted commit 0d2135ecadb0 ("ASoC: Intel: Work around to fix HW
D3 potential crash issue") and things started working, including
suspend/resume of the DSP. Any ideas for why this may be? I would
like to resolve this so I can finish upstreaming the bdw-rt5650
machine driver.

Copying Keyon in case he remembers the context.

Reverting a 5yr-old commit with all sorts of clock/power-related
fixes looks brave, and it's not clear why this would work with the
rt5677 and not with 5650.

No idea, I was just diffing the register writes looking for sources of
discrepancy.
The Chromium OS 3.14 kernel tree that Buddy uses doesn't have this
patch, so I figured what's the worst that could happen?

Hi Jon, sorry about just noticing this thread.
  From the dmesg log, the issue happens at runtime suspend/resume but not
in boot, am I right(you can disable runtime PM for the device to confirm that)?

My points here are:
1. the commit 0d2135ecadb0 was suggested by FW team to W/A D3
potential crash issue.
2. it was verified with rt286(Broadwell.c, e.g. Dell XPS) from our side
only(and may have been checked with rt5677 by Chrome team).
3. please follow sequence in broadwell.c if issue happen at boot time.
If happened at runtime PM from DSP side, we should see it with all kinds of
machine driver.
Could you performing more test and debugging to see what it real happen
there?
4. we have no reason to remove the commit directly, except correcting if
some lines are proved wrong. And, as Pierre mentioned, SOF driver is
preferred, as there is no new development effort to support SST
haswell/Broadwell driver here(no platform, no developer, :-( ).

Thanks,
~Keyon>

Got to disagree with the last one - no platform, no developer.
We are setting up some BDW/ HSW here to join our happy SKL+ family in CI.
This is because of /common cleanups which will engulf aDSP project
(hsw/byt) obviously.

Yes, that's true, good to hear that you will add it to CI.

These will be tested against the exact same BAT scope as other ADSP devices.
Code here looks much better, at least compared to /skylake - ain't a high
threshold though.. Given how outdated all SKL+ fw binaries are (on upstream
repo) it might even come down simply to fw upgrade.
Most of FW peps who took part in that project are already out. Although,
found one or two who are willing to help : )

I remember Pawel Piskorski and Marcin Barlik helped me from the FW side(including explaining about the S0<->S3 sequence), please contact me offline if needed, I will try to drag for some mails which I got 5 years back.

Thanks,
~Keyon

Please do not name people on official list unless you are 100% sure about their engagement in linux solutions, which for both individuals you have listed, is no longer the case. Any recommendations? - you can provide internally.

Anyway, I've contacted Marcin and once he is available, we will review the patch together. Note, that I'm a IGK dweller too, so it's highly probable whomever you had in mind I've either already met or drank a beer with.

Czarek

And yes, I'm setting them up with rt286 too. There are some rt56XX but I'm
unsure if rt5650 is amount them.
Still got some problems with ACPI, but soon two new faces should be greeting
audio CI bonfire..

Czarek

Are you using the latest upstream firmware btw? Or the one which
shipped with the initial device (which could be an issue if the
protocol
changed).

The firmware I'm loading is: `FW info: type 01, - version: 00.00,
build 77, source commit id: 876ac6906f31a43b6772b23c7c983ce9dcb18a1`.
Hashes the same as the upstream binary.