Re: GitHub - alsa-project - repositories

Hi Jaroslav,

Sorry for late reply.

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
Well, I have another concern when having conversation with Daniel
Baluta[1]. He post his 'Reviewed-by' tag to the github issue. In this
case, how can we apply the tag to commit history? I don't know exactly
services in github.com have good solution for this issue, or not...

[1] https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-utils/pull/1#issuecomment-436164565

I believe that the maintainer who signs and pushes the commits should
handle those tags, too.

It means that we are not allowed to use the github web merge button! (no
signing - seems like on github's issue list -
https://github.com/todogroup/gh-issues/issues/50)

Thank you. It's completely against out maintainance policy that we can
handle no tag such as 'Reviewed-by:' and 'Signed-off-by:', thus the web merge button in github.com can not be used. I'm OK to avoid pushing the button.

I think it good to push a small guideline message for userspace work to somewhere for smooth communication between people, like:

1. contributors
 * prepare change history so that fast-forward to remote repository
 * each of commit should have 'Signed-off-by:' tag
 * For bug fix, additional 'Fixes:' tag is preferable
 * two communication paths; 'git format-patch/send-email' to alsa-devel
   list, or PR on github.com
 * put enough information in cover-letter of email or PR comment so that
   reviers/maintainers can get purpose of this work
2. reviewers
 * any review action is welcome and expected
 * after review work, send comments with 'Reviewed-by:', 'Tested-by:' tags
   as reply to the list or PR so that contributors and reviewers can catch
3. maintainers
 * apply the patches from contributor to local repository by hand without
   web UI of github.com so that the history has no merge commits
 * add reviewer's tags to applied commits
 * add 'Signed-off-by:' tag to applied commits
 * reply to list or PR when push to remote repository

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Takashi Sakamoto