Re: alsactl adds volume controls?

2010/9/29 Colin Guthrie <gmane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> 1. The point about opening "front" for both playback and capture in PA
> is valid but irrelevant in this case. We are, for the moment, only
> concerned about playback streams and ensuring that the mixers apparently
> used to control the volume for that stream are accurate.

PA open "front" device for playback and capture is one of the reason why so
many user complain about recording volume is too low since the softvol
plugin in front device only provide atteunation

It is possible for softvol plugin to reject a capture stream to use a name
containing "Playback" or a playback stream to use a name containing
"Capture"

    if (resolution <= 1 || resolution > 1024) {
        SNDERR("Invalid resolution value %d", resolution);
        return -EINVAL;
    }
+    if ( strstr(name, ((stream == SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK) ? "Capture":
"Playback")) > 0 ) {
+        SNDERR("Invalid name %s for %s stream", name,
+        stream ==  SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK ? "Playback" : "Capture" );
+       return -EINVAL;
+     }
    if (mode & SND_PCM_NO_SOFTVOL) {
        err = snd_pcm_slave_conf(root, slave, &sconf, 0);
        if (err < 0)
            return err;
        err = snd_pcm_open_named_slave(pcmp, name, root, sconf, stream,
                           mode, conf);
        snd_config_delete(sconf);