Re: [RFC] Alsa mixer over serial port

Thursday 02 July 2009 15:32:21 Mark Brown napisał(a):> On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 03:27:43PM +0200, Janusz Krzysztofik wrote:> > I can see two ways of getting this working:> > 1) add a new line discipline that would take control over the serial> > line and convert it to an alsa mixer,> > 2) create a low level driver that would replace standard serial stuff> > completely (like snd-serial-u16550 does, for example).> >> > Please advise which one is better.>> ASoC doesn't really care for itself - it just needs the upper layer> interface, how exactly the driver ineteracts with the device is not> important to ASoC.
Mark, thanks.
As there are no other votes, I choose line discipline. Generic form of required userspace support is already provided with util-linux-ng and it seems much better to use established low level driver code than reinvent a new one ;).
I hope there will be no problem getting a new line discipline registered with include/linux/tty.h, even if it turns out that the code using it is dedicated to a specific device not found on any other board than my Amstrad E3.