possible timing issue with alsa-restore.service

alsa-project/alsa-utils issue #249 was opened from fajabird:

not sure how to title this issue but the following happens in my case:

System is a Dell XPS one (all in one PC) and I'm running latest manjaro gnome. I noticed that I had no sound although GNOME control center would show a audio device and it was not muted and volume was all the way up.

So I tried alsamixer and found the device "Headphones" muted and volume at 0. Changing this did the trick and I had sound. I issued an "alsactl store" and checked that "alsa-restore.service" was not deactivated to make this persistant. Still after reboot I had no sound.

But if I would issue "alsactl restore" manually it would fix the sound issue again. So I suspected that there is an timing issue. Via "systemctl edit --full alsa-restore.service" I added a 30 seconds delay before it would call "alsactl restore" and that fixed the issue permanently. But unfortunately I have no idea how to troubleshoot this properly to find the real root cause of this timing issue.

Issue URL     : https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-utils/issues/249
Repository URL: https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-utils