Re: Bug Report: Audio issues with CentOS7

Hi Jaroslav. Thank you very much for your input.

I created the alsa-beep.conf file in the /etc/modprobe.d/ folder and rebooted. When the system came up, I still couldn't get the speaker to make a sound via the beep command. I attached the .conf file just in case you wanted to confirm the contents.

________________________________
From: Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 5, 2023 3:26 AM
To: Terry Hummel <Terry.Hummel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; alsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <alsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Dulani McLaurin <Dulani.McLaurin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Bug Report: Audio issues with CentOS7

[You don't often get email from perex@xxxxxxxx. Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

On 04. 09. 23 16:56, Terry Hummel wrote:

> How to reproduce:
> Try to get sound to come from the HP RP 5810 speaker using:
> printf '\a'
> printf '\007'
> echo -e '\a'
> echo -e '\007'
> beep -f330 -l137 -n -f330 -l275 -n -f330 -l137 -n…etc (I have a beep tune in a shell script)
> // when beep is run, it appears to run with no errors.
>
> Actual results:
> The above commands run without any complaints of missing audio device. But no sound coming from the 5810 PC internal Speakers

Beeps/terminal bells are a bit different. They are handled through the sound
servers these days, thus the PWM modulator output is disabled by default in
the HDA driver. I assume that you're running your system without the sound server.

$ modinfo snd-hda-intel | grep beep
parm:           beep_mode:Select HDA Beep registration mode (0=off, 1=on)
(default=1). (array of bool)

Note that CentOS 7 have the default 0 (off) for this parameter. The
description is incorrect. Try to set this module parameter in modprobe
configuration files:

   echo "options snd-hda-intel beep_mode=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-beep.conf
   ... and reboot

                                                Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx>