--- Begin Message ---
- To: Lee Jones <lee@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 2/5] mfd: Add support for the Lantiq PEF2256 framer
- From: Herve Codina <herve.codina@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:42:08 +0200
- Cc: Rob Herring <robh+dt@xxxxxxxxxx>, Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzysztof.kozlowski+dt@xxxxxxxxxx>, Liam Girdwood <lgirdwood@xxxxxxxxx>, Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxx>, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, devicetree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, alsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Christophe Leroy <christophe.leroy@xxxxxxxxxx>, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- In-reply-to: <20230330160510.GB489249@google.com>
- Organization: Bootlin
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <20230330160510.GB489249@google.com>
On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:05:10 +0100
Lee Jones <lee@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2023, Herve Codina wrote:
> > The Lantiq PEF2256 is a framer and line interface component designed to
> > fulfill all required interfacing between an analog E1/T1/J1 line and the
> > digital PCM system highway/H.100 bus.
> My goodness!
> It's been a long time since I've seen anything quite like this.
Yes, old things but working on recent kernel.
> My suggestion to you:
> * Split this up into components that fit functional subsystems
It is done. The audio part is present in ASoC subsystem (path 5 in this
series). pinctrl function is implemented in this driver and, as I don't
want to share registers, I would prefer to keep this function inside this
Also, I sent a RFC related to HDLC and PHY. In this RFC, the pef2256 is
considered as a PHY and handled in the PHY subsystem.
> * Run checkpatch.pl
> * Remove all of the debug prints
I can do that in the next iteration if really needed.
> * Move all of the defines out to a header file
These defines are related to registers. As I don't want to share these
registers, is it really necessary to use a header file for them ?
> * Be more verbose in your documentation / comments
I can improve the API documentation present in include/mfd/pef2256.h.
Do you thing that is necessary ? Only a few devices will use this API.
> * Consider using simple-mfd to probe child devices.
The driver has (and needs to have) a compatible string.
Having this compatible string, sub-nodes are not automatically populated
in the device tree. In order to have them populated and probed, the pef2256
probe function ends calling devm_of_platform_populate().
> > Signed-off-by: Herve Codina <herve.codina@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > ---
> > drivers/mfd/Kconfig | 17 +
> > drivers/mfd/Makefile | 1 +
> > drivers/mfd/pef2256.c | 1355 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > include/linux/mfd/pef2256.h | 28 +
> > 4 files changed, 1401 insertions(+)
> > create mode 100644 drivers/mfd/pef2256.c
> > create mode 100644 include/linux/mfd/pef2256.h
> Lee Jones [李琼斯]
--- End Message ---