Re: Avoid overload of PCM volume on Cx5045 codec

At Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:34:25 +0200,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andreas_P=E5hlsson?= wrote:

> Hardware:

>     product: AMILO Pro V3205
>     vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS
>     version: Rev 1
>     serial: YK2H004201
>     width: 32 bits
>     capabilities: smbios-2.4 dmi-2.4 smp-1.4 smp
>     configuration: boot=oem-specific chassis=notebook cpus=2
> uuid=00CAAE3D-9113-0E10-AFC7-E4C0949DBF47
>

> alsa-info.sh:
>
> http://pastebin.ca/1050962

Thanks.

> I have of course played with all the settings with alsamixer before
> compiling a kernelmodule. As per the comment to the patch the sound
> can become very distorted without it. 6 dB works fine for me.

Hm, but it has far higher values.  Do they also work fine (suppose you
reverted the amp override patch)?

> For me it is a little strange that it is the PCM volume and not the
> Master volume that can be boosted. PCM sounds like it would be a
> internal digital amplification control, Master sounds more like an
> analog output amplifier control. But thats just me and I don't know
> the chip at all.

It's just a matter of name.  In general, "PCM" volume means that the
volume control path specific to the PCM, not for other sources.  In
the case of Conexant codec, there is no loopback route, so it doesn't
matter, though.

Takashi