Re: About Cleanup ASoC

On 5/24/2022 6:40 AM, Kuninori Morimoto wrote:

Hi ASoC
Cc Mark, Pierre-Louis, Cezary

I have very interesting to clean up ASoC.
I think it is still very complex, thus, non flexible.
I'm thinking that we want to cleanup...

	- Component with multi Card connection
	- fixed playback vs capture
	- fixed CPU vs Codec
	- DPCM connection vs normal connection

About first topic,
I guess the biggest reason why we have limitation is
its connections.

(...)

This makes the limitation which blocking multiple Card connections, I think.

Hi,

I would like to understand the problem here, before I start to discuss potential solutions. You seem to be saying that there is some kind of card<->component connection limitation? Is there specific use case you have in mind?

Personally I don't see a reason for connecting component to multiple cards. Even if it would be possible it soon becomes problematic when you for example try to decide which card controls clock on component. As I've wrote I would like to first see some use case definition, before jumping into a rewrite.

Best regards,
Amadeusz