Re: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

On Tue, 13 November 2007 15:18:07 -0500, Mark Lord wrote:> > I just find it weird that something can be known broken for several -rc*> kernels before I happen to install it, discover it's broken on my own > machine,> and then I track it down, fix it, and submit the patch, generally all > within a> couple of hours.  Where the heck was the dude(ess) that broke it ??  AWOL.> > And when I receive hostility from the "maintainers" of said code for fixing> their bugs, well.. that really motivates me to continue reporting new ones..
Given a decent bug report, I agree that having the bug not looked at isshameful.  But what can a developer do if a bug report effectively reads"there is some bug somewhere in recent kernels"?  How can I know that inthis particular case it is my bug that I introduced?  It could just aseasily be 50 other people and none of them are eager to debug it unlessthey suspect it to be their bug.
This is a common problem and fairly unrelated to linux in general or thekernel in particular.  Who is going to be the sucker that figures outwhich developer the bug belongs to?  And I have yet to find a project,commercial or opensource, where volunteers flock to become such asucker.
One option is to push this role to the bug reporter.  Another is tostrong-arm some developers into this role, by whatever means.  A thirdwould be for $LARGE_COMPANY to hire some people.  If you have a betteridea or would volunteer your time, I'd be grateful.  Simply blaming oneside, whether bug reporter or a random developer, for not being thesucker doesn't help anyone.
Jörn
-- Joern's library part 2:http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/unix-haters/tirix/embarrassing-memo.html_______________________________________________Alsa-devel mailing listAlsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://mailman.alsa-project.org/mailman/listinfo/alsa-devel