Re: Broken moderation

On 03/20/2007 01:35 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> The last post went through without moderation.
> Really puzzling.  Did someone approve manually?

That last one, not me. This one I'm now replying to (from within my
inbox), yes, me. But yes, something is rotten here. As I said in a later
message (which you hadn't seen at the time you wrote this due to the
massive delay of some messages showing up on list even after manual
moderator acceptance) I even have a message in my inbox from yesterday
that hasn't made it yet.

My conclusion for the time being -- sourceforge sucks so bad that things
are unsalvageable as long as the list is on there. linux-kernel is an
open list and almost completely spam-free, so if vger is willing to host
the list(s) I don't believe the alsa-project.org forwards would need to
be disabled (although having a functional spamfilter on alsa-project.org
directly will ofcourse also be good).

As to the difference with alsa-user -- as far as I'm aware, alsa-user is
a subscriber-only list which makes all the difference. Personally I
wouldn't terribly mind having alsa-devel subscriber-only as well but the
list would then recieve major flack from linux-kernel posters who want
to cross-post without needing to subscribe. I've personally long since
concluded that although subscriber only lists may suck, the spam problem
is just too big if you don't have a few full-time admins to throw at it
and thereby sucks worse (vger does have those full-time admins).

Rene.