Re: Hello/EMU 0404 USB driver

On 3/6/07, Martin Wilson <mpw473@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> a EMU
> 0404 USB which is a very good card.  I would like to use something like
> Ubuntu studio instead of OSX for making music, however the sticking
> point is the driver for this particular piece of hardware.  Looking
> around forums it looks like I'm not the only one who has come across
> this problem, so I have the following questions...
> 1. What is the biggest obstacle for this driver becoming a reality?

If the device is class compliant (aka does not require a driver to be
installed on OSX or Windows) then it's very easy.  Otherwise it's very
hard without detailed hardware specs.

> 2. Do creative play nicely with releasing the specifics of how their
> hardware works?

Sometimes.  They've helped with the EMU1212 series and CA0106 (SBLive!
24 bit) but won't help with the X-Fi.

> 3. What is the best way to learn how to write drivers for sound cards
> (I've ordered the 'Linux Device drivers' book for an overview)?

Read "Writing an ALSA driver" and refer to the source code of existing
drivers such as snd-usb-audio.

Lee