Re: patch: ac97_patch.c - enable 'Smart 5.1' on VIA vt1617a ac97 codec

At Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:44:33 -0800,
John Utz wrote:

> This patch allows via vt1617a end users to configure what via calls Smart 5.1 - a
> mechanism for controlling the 3 bi-directional analog connectors that some OEM's use
> instead of a larger collection of dedicated analog input and output connectors.
>
> As outlined in previous discussion on this list, the outcome matrix for togging these
> bits is somewhat arcane and seemingly lacking in cohesion, but with only 3 bits, it's
> reasonable to expect that a motivated end user will be able to eventually configure
> their own personal setup to their needs.
>
> Note that in some instances (such as an epia C7) it is also required to disable
> 'alternate surround out' to get surround to work properly.
>
> Note that this is my first ever alsa patch and after review by wiser craniums it may
> need fixin'. ;-)
>
> plz dont hesitate to ask for such corrections!

Well, I still think that these Smart 5.1 controls are too cryptic.
...and with this patch, you'll have even three such switches!

IMO, it'd be (a little bit) better to have a single control to set up
these things.  For example, you can give an enum control that has 8
entries for SM51A,B,C setups.

Takashi