Re: A: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24

I am here *wink* :-)

Am 2007-01-29 15:41 +0100 schrieb Takashi Iwai:

> But the patch for Prodigy 7.1 Hifi is still pending since another
> deveopment by Konstantin is ongoing, too.  Could you both of you
> cooperate to make more solid support for that hardware?

Well, I strongly recommend. As I asked before, I am still wondering
how the initial patch works on Philipps Computer.

While the wm8776 is implementend as a SPI device in aureon.c (and used
this way in the Prodigy 7.1 Hifi driver in aureon.c here) I use it in
i2c mode with success. What still missing is spi read/write stuff for
the wm8766 I am currently working on. Also there is a cs8415a in i2c
mode connected, whereas aureon.c expects it in SPI mode currently.

Due to that essential differences I started a (quite good working!)
skeleton based on a Hercules fortissmo4 approach I discovered in
bugtrack.alsa-project.org. There I went into a prodigy hifi thread
https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=2384
and put in my prodigy_hifi.c (which envolved meanwhile) for discussion.

> Of course, I can take one of your patches as a prototype, and make
> it

I really wonder how/if Philipps stuff works. It gives a working card,
but (as I expected) the main volume mixers are not working. All
essential chips known to be connected in SPI mode need to be
initialized to speak i2c on this board.

> merged to the standard tree as a start up.  Anyway, I'd like hear the
> opinions from both of you at first.

May be Philps patch needs only slight work, my approach of a
completely additional file prodigy_hifi.c might be most probably work
of greenhorn in hacking alsa device drivers, so I am here for
discussion. At the moment I am trying to get hands onto the wm8766
chip, which needs proper SPI functions. I can nowhere adopt existing
ones as far as I can see.

Kind Regards, Konstantin Kletschke

PS.: Takashi, the mail you are replying to, has this gone to this ml
or to you directly?

--
GPG KeyID EF62FCEF
Fingerprint: 13C9 B16B 9844 EC15 CC2E  A080 1E69 3FDA EF62 FCEF