Re: Ideas for the softvol plugin

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:54:55 +0100
Ingo Müller <alsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have some ideas about features that could be added to the softvol
> plugin, that I want to discuss with you.

The feature I'd love to see might possibly be called something like
"dynamic volume normalizer". I want a central place to arrange for
the volume to automagically go down when it starts getting loud
and up when it starts getting soft. No two programs ever seem to
treat volume settings the same so when one is working fine, the next
one I start will blow my head off or be totally inaudible.

Would this softvol plugin be the place to figure out how to do that?
Or is the architecture such that something entirely different would be
required?