Re: PROBLEM: Probable kernel bug in VT8233 drivers

On Thursday 04 January 2007 4:06 pm, Peter Zubaj wrote:
> If card is in /proc/asound/cards then driver is loaded and working.
> Probably Yast will fail to load driver again, because it is already
> loaded.
>
> You have probably problem with dev files. Check if there are dev files
> in /dev/snd subdir (I think this is default).
>
> Something like this:
> crw-------  1 peter root 116, 13 Jan  4 17:03 controlC0
> crw-------  1 peter root 116, 20 Jan  4 17:03 controlC1

This is getting interesting.  I do not have a /dev/snd directory.  I tried
reinstalling the devs rpm package, and that recreated /dev/snd, but after a
reboot /dev/snd was gone again.

Here's something else I tried.  If having the driver loaded is the problem,
then the problem should go away if I remove it.  So I did

rmmod snd_via82xx

which succeeded and caused the entry to disappear, as verified by

lsmod | grep via82

I then retried the Yast installation and got the same error as before.  After
that attempt, though, the previous command gave me

snd_via82xx            32920  0

indicating that the Yast installation restored the module.  So I would guess
that the module is loaded but is not usable because of the problems indicated
by the original error message (at the beginning of this thread).

I also tried alsaconf again and got this, as before:

Starting sound driver:  via82xx                                       done
/usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1236: No soundcards found...

which suggests that even though the driver is loaded, it cannot access the car
(actually part of the motherboard).

Paul