stopping sequencer output queue gracefully

Is there example code around that shows how to stop MIDI playback
gracefully?

At present, I'm doing a snd_seq_drop_output() and a snd_seq_stop_queue(),
and getting some interesting behavior when I try to restart.

I'm also wondering if Alsa does anything to track or handle the stuck notes
that result, or if my client needs to be responsible for tracking these and
turning them off before stopping the queue.

John