Re: alsa-lib bloat.

All,

Sorry it's taken me so long to add my 2cp, it's been a bit of a crazy
few days.

I really don't think libasound should worry about paring down for
embedded platforms.  Look, ALSA is an _Advanced_ Linux Sound
Architecture, right?  Yes, it's got a lot of features, code, and
ultimately power.  There's been complaints over the years of how hard it
is to use also.  Well, true, but that's often the cost of powerful
frameworks.

Really, anyone who is using Linux as an "embedded" platform isn't doing
what I would regard as real embedded work.  Often these sort of
developers are actually PC (or Linux, or whatever) application
developers called upon to do embedded work, or are embedded workers
wanting a common OS and have a board with capabilities that can handle a
full OS like Linux.  I'm not saying that Linux doesn't have value on
embedded systems, but really, you're providing a full (even if it is
custom hardware) nominal computer to the OS in order to get Linux
running on it, with certain minimum requirements:  This isn't a small
embedded system with severely limited 8bit processing power, 1MB flash,
and 256K RAM.

Anyone with severe embedded real time requirements will probably be
using one of the specially designed embedded OSes or will be using a
home-grown OS or no OS.  Take a look at the various stats published in
places like Embedded Systems Programming or compiled by people like Jack
  Ganssle over the years if you want proof of that assertion.

That said: Linux and ALSA have a great future in the newer
psudo-embedded systems that are actually tiny industrially packaged PCs.
  And even in custom boards with enough resources to handle it.  I use
it and love it.

I do think the power to selectively include or disable feature groups as
  Jaroslav pointed out is great.  In my experience a few hundred K or
even a couple of M isn't a killer for most embedded uses that have
decided to use Linux.

For me it boils down to this: libasound was designed for and is intended
for advanced usage by people that were unsatisfied with the capabilities
and performance of the more simple interfaces provided with Linux a few
years ago.  It is powerful and exactly what I need for our advanced usage.

* Do I wish it was sometimes easier to use? Sometimes.
* Do I wish for more features or power? Rarely.  And when I do, I fix it
where necessary.
* Do I wish the documentation was better?  Sometimes.  But I guess I
could contribute to that if I was really bothered by it.
* Do I wish the community was better?  Never!  You're all great and
stand behind the library and answer questions quickly.
* Do I wish it were smaller?  Honestly, I've never noticed the size of
libasound; I've always had other programs or libraries that are much
bigger problems.

My vote: by all means make it smaller, and include ways to trim out
function groupings that a particular application doesn't need.  But, I'd
rather see the time and effort go into stability, ease of use, speed,
power, and enhanced compatibility (drivers).

Just the opinion of one actual embedded developer.

Thanks for listening,
- Steve