Re: SPDIF/IEC958 sample rate on HDA/ALC882

At Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:41:13 +0100,
Erik Slagter wrote:

> >> By whom or what? Actually I don't care that much, but it looks like a
> >> bug to me.
> > Possibly.  But too little information to analyze.
>
> I think you're misunderstanding me here.
>
> aplay -Dhw:0,0 sample.wav gives valid sound through spdif (though
> limited), but aplay -Dhw:0,1 gives garbage on the same spdif output.
> That doesn't look like an issue of aplay or the alsa lib, but a driver
> issue.

Ok, now I get to know about your tests, which program you used :)
Still I don't know what is sample.wav, though.  It's 48kHz?
You can try -Dspdif, too, BTW.

There shouldn't be much difference between hw:0,0 and hw:0,1 regarding
SPDIF setup.  Build with --with-debug=detect, and see the kernel
messages whether the driver sets different parameters to the digital
audio-output widget.

Also, you can compare the proc file content between two states,
i.e. during aplay -Dhw:0,0 and -Dhw:0,2.

In addition, check the parameters printed via aplay -v option to see
whether they are identical.

> >> [ rate bitfields in proc #codec# output ]
> > Try HG version, and you'll see what they mean better.
>
> The driver version in the kernel is kind of recent,

Not recent enough.  Try HG version, really.

Takashi