Re: SPDIF/IEC958 sample rate on HDA/ALC882

Hi,

[Don't forget add alsa-devel to Cc]

At Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:42:30 +0100,
Erik Slagter wrote:

> >> aplay complains, I suspect as a result of a return value from the
> >> driver. I can give you the output if it helps. I can even do an strace.
>
> > strace doesn't help much, I guess.  Provide rather what exactly you
> > did and what exactly you got, at first.  I can't reproduce nor check
> > anything unless I get precise information.  Also, try always the
> > latest version if you want to debug/analyzie something, i.e. ALSA HG
> > version.
>
> HG???

Mercurial.  See the download page.

> I can give you output of the FC5 versions, i.e. 1.0.11

That's way too old version.

> Anyway, I'm only using aplay and iecset from it.
>
> The kernel is 2.6.18, I did try 2.6.19-rc4, but it has too many
> problems, and for alsa functionality it doesn't appear to matter anyway.
>
> If you happen to have a few lines of C code that does no more than
> setting the output digital device to sample rate x, I'd be obliged.
>
> Also I really don't get the relationship between the sample rate of the
> wav file I'm using for testing (with aplay) and iecset. I'd expect that
> aplay would set the sample (locking) rate of the spdif interface to the
> sample frequency as the wav file, what is the use of iecset (rate) then?
> I am using hw:0,0 to really avoid software resampling.

Well, still I didn't write what you did and what you got...

> >> But why does the second interface gives _some_ (although wrong) output
> >> on my spdif output then?
>
> > No idea, possibly wrong parameters are passed.
>
> By whom or what? Actually I don't care that much, but it looks like a
> bug to me.

Possibly.  But too little information to analyze.

> >> Anyway, I double checked and the alc882 CAN output at various rates,
> >> also on the sp/dif output.
>
> > It's likely true.  Better to check the proc file content of codec#*
> > file rather than reading datasheets (what are often wrong), though.
>
> I did try to parse this file, but I could not make anything useful out
> of it. I attached it for your convenience.
>
> I also tried to decipher the "rates" values from the constants in the
> source code, but it's really not doable (include include define include
> etc.)

Try HG version, and you'll see what they mean better.

Anyway, I'll be in vacation for a couple of weeks from tomorrow, so
the debugging is likely pending...

Takashi