Re: Too much latency with default:0, problem with period_time on dmix-dsnoop

At Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:00:11 +0100,
Giovanni Maruzzelli wrote:

> Hi Takashi, hi all,
>
> I have a problem of too much latency using from C the "default:n"
> devices under ALSA (if I understood correctly, this is because the
> "default:n" devices uses dmix and dsnoop, and I need dmix and dsnoop,
> but dmix and dsnoop have a fixed period_time=125000).
>
> I was able to solve this problem with an asound.conf, specifying the
> period_time in both the dmix and dsnoop that constitute the asym that
> I made the default.

The default pcm period_size (or period_time) can be defined globally
per card-type such as

cards.EMU10k1.pcm.dmix.period_size   512

or

cards.ICE1712.pcm.dmix.period_time   20000

(I'm not sure whether it's available for 1.0.13 but at least HG
 version supports this.)

> There is a way to do the same from the command line, in a way similar to:
> aplay -D"plug:'dmix:RATE=44100'"

Similarly, the default rate can be defined as

defaults.pcm.dmix.rate	44100

(Optional) arguments can be defined together with the PCM definition,
too.  For example, to add RATE option to your dmixed PCM, define like
below:

pcm.dmixed {
	@args [ RATE ]
	@args.RATE {
		type integer
		default 48000
	}
        type dmix
	ipc_key 1025
	slave {
		pcm "hw:0"
		period_time 20000
		rate $RATE
        }
}

> Also (and maybe better), there is a way to "build" a device similar to
> the one builded by this asound.conf from the C api?

A silly but workable solution would be to create a text file
containing the new config and read it via snd_config_load() or such.

Takashi