Re: S/PDIF support for Intel HDA Realtek ALC880?

>Hi Peter

Hello Jonathan!

Thanks for the quick response.

>> I am running Debian (testing) on a Gigabyte GA-K8N51PVMT-9
>> motherboard with integrated Intel HDA Realtek ALC880 sound.
>
>I don't have ALC880 hardware - all my work has been done with
>the ALC260.
>My ability to answer your question is therefore somewhat diminished.
>
>> htpc:~# aplay -l
>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC880 Analog [ALC880 Analog]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
>This suggests there is only one playback device, and that would be the
>analog interface.  Therefore by default at least it doesn't appear the
>SPDIF interface is made available.
>
>Are you using any options when loading the ALSA modules or do you just
>go with the defaults?

No options and I am using a regular kernel. Any suggestions
what options I might add?

mythtv@htpc:~$ uname -a
Linux htpc 2.6.16-2-k7 #1 Fri Aug 18 19:48:42 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

mythtv@htpc:~$ dpkg --list alsa-*

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name               Version            Description
>viewing.  That way you may get some thoughts from the
>developers actually working on ALC880 code.

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson