Re: (Was Re: [Alsa-user] Poorly supported HDA intel)

At Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:12:21 +0200,
I wrote:

> At Fri, 20 Oct 2006 19:16:19 +0200,
> Ricardo Cerqueira wrote:

> > > Looks like it is:
> >
> > OK... The resize call is never reached (the break clause is always true).
> > I added a small printk before the size test, and got:
> >
> > DEBUG - res=48 and len=74
> > DEBUG - res=25 and len=26
> > DEBUG - res=0 and len=1
> > DEBUG - res=0 and len=1
> > DEBUG - res=0 and len=1
> >
> > And from here on, vsnprintf always returns 0.
>
> > From my understanding of
> > the documentation, it shouldn't happen, but... (maybe a glibc bug?)
>
> Unless you call like vsnprintf(buf, len, "").  But I don't think it's
> this case.
>
> The kernel code uses its own implementation of vsnprintf(), so it
> should be a bug of kernel.
>
> Which version of kernel and gcc are you using?  It has worked fine
> with my machines, 2.6.18, 19-git and gcc 4.1.

Possibly you're using snd_compat_vsnprintf() fuction and this looks
broken for over-4k strings.  But, this wrapper is necessary only for
pretty old kernels.  All 2.6 kernels should have a native
vsnprintf().  Check whether alsa-driver/include/config.h whether you
have CONFIG_HAVE_VSNPRINTF there.  If not, check config.log for
details.

Takashi