Re: Surround sound and volume control question

Hi,

Just wanted to give you some input from a user of the more advanced
features of alsa volume controls. I am running an acoustic lab at the
University of Western Australia. I have previously helped out in alsa
to reverse engineer a sound card and fix some minor bugs. We use
alsa/jack to do sound recordings and to implement realtime audio
processing algorithms where the absolute relationship between the
volume level and the voltage level at the sound card output must be
known. Currently I have had to reverse engineer the A/D - D/A and
driver to work out this relationship and write card specific functions
to set the volume levels for the soundcard output.

If you are making changes to the volume controls, the most valuable
feature to the kind of work I am doing would be the ability to set the
volume level in volts individually for each channel. Whatever you do
please don't hide the actual analog gain settings behind software gain
settings, it would make my work very difficult.

Cheers,
//Anders