Re: Surround sound and volume control question

At Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:04:51 -0400,
Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 04:50:49PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > Is a ganged master control fundamentally incompatible with individual
> > > channel volumes?  If so, doesn't it mean that this problem can never be
> > > solved by an abstract mixer layer?
> >
> > It's possible to create a virtual volume element that represents the
> > base attenuation level.  Suppose "Master" to be a virtual volume (a
> > mono), then the real volume values for front, rear and CLFE become
> > "front + master", "rear + master" and "CLFE + master".  The values
> > have to be clipped to max 31 (or 63).
> >
> > The problem is that the mixer values are no longer corresponding to
> > the register values as 1:1.  Thus the current code for get/put
> > callbacks can't be used as it is.  The values have to be cached and
> > handled internally independent from the register values...
>
> Do you think this is a better choice than using softvol?  If so, I
> will work on the implementation later this week.

Depends.  It's definitely ligher for hardware at least, but would
involve more changes in the driver side.  OTOH, softvol can provide
finer volume controls with higher resolution.

I thought of implementation of virtual mixer element in alsa-lib, but
it'd be also a bit messy.  The implementation in the driver side could
be even easier.

Takashi