Re: hda-intel, ALC861 and Asus A6rp laptop - problem with headphones almost solved

At Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:14:58 +0200,
Mariusz Domanski wrote:

> I have codec#0 output saved when everything was working.
> There is little change according to outpiu which codec#0 gives me now.
>
> Part of "good" codec#0:
> Node 0x15 [Audio Mixer] wcaps 0x20050f: Stereo Amp-In Amp-Out
> Amp-In caps: ofs=0x0c, nsteps=0x17, stepsize=0x0b, mute=1
> Amp-In vals: [0x95 0x95] [0x80 0x80] [0x80 0x80]
> Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x0c, nsteps=0x0c, stepsize=0x0b, mute=1
> Amp-Out vals: [0x0c 0x0c]
> Power: 0x0
> Connection: 3
> 0x11 0x14 0x1c
>
> Now the 3rd line is:
> Amp-In vals: [0x95 0x95] [0x95 0x95] [0x95 0x95]

Above all, _what_ happened by this change?

> This is the only change.
>
> What does this mean?

It means that the amp-input values are changed.
But they are still muted (bit 7 [0x80] is on), so in theory, they
shouldn't make any difference.  No other changes at all?

> How can I change it?

Via mixer elements, most likely.
You can check the mixer elements you created which ones have the NID
0x15 (and INPUT direction).

> Can this cause this whole strange problem?

You'd better to take a look at the block diagram in ALC861 datasheet
to understand what's happning.

The widget 0x15 is "analog mixer" that takes all inputs from line,
mic, etc and passes to ADC and the output mixer.  The three values are
volumes from inputs to this mixer from CD, line and mic input pins.

> I can try to change something but I don't know what exactly should be changed, so
> i'll be changing various values :P

That's my question, too.  First, you have to recognize the way to
reproduce the problem.  Debugging randomly happening problem is quite
hard.  We need to know the cause, not only the result.

Takashi