Re: "Unable to handle kernel paging request" panic in snd-usb-audio on x86_64

At Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:48:58 +0100,
Luke Ross wrote:

> Hi,

> > > At the moment I'm using neither. I'm using an alsa-enabled mpg123:
> > >
> > > mpg123 -a hw:1,0 sound.mp3
> >
> > Is there any other known program to cause this?
> > Also, does it happen with the very first time you use the sound
> > driver, too?
>
> Yes, it happens with all programs I've tried so far, including
> gstream-properties, and it always happens on the first time the channel
> is PCM opened (the mixer is fine).

I have no mpg123 but only mpg321.  And I don't use gstreamer...
Anyway, then something else than I thought of.

> > I still couldn't find a proper way to reproduce this bug...
>
> So I can compare, which kernel version are you using? As touched on
> before, it only happens to me on x86_64, and it may be SMP dependent
> (my i386 machine is uniprocessor, my x86_64 one is SMP).

My test machine is an Intel x86-64 single core running (almost)
vanilla 2.6.18 SMP kernel with HT.  ALSA 1.0.13rc3 is now built on
that, and seems working with mpg321, at least.
The whole ALSA stuff is built as modules.

Takashi