Re: ice1724/Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi

At Fri, 15 Sep 2006 21:11:03 +0200,
Julian Scheel wrote:

> I just got a Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi card, which is baed upon a Envy24HT
> chipset in combination with one WM8776 codec for front out and a WM8766 for
> channel 3-8.
> I made the front out working, taking the code from pontis.c - Now I'd like to
> add support for the other channels, therefore I need to figure out the
> I2C-base-address for the WM8766 registers.
> Can you provide me with some help on how to figure that out? I'm a newbie to
> alsa/soundcard driver development.

First you should make clear whether the codec chip is connected via
the vt1724's standard connection or 3-wired SPI connection via GPIO.
The most boards use the latter method while pontis board uses the
former.  In the latter case, the address is usually 2 bit, so you can
do a wild guess more easily.

> Reading the envy24ht-specs didn't help me, yet.
>
> One more question: Should I merge my code into pontis.c, which would blow it a
> bit up, but would avoid duplicate code, or should I open a new
> prodigy_hifi.c/h?

Depends.  Send us a patch, and let's decide this later.

Takashi