Re: [RFC] Add dB scale information to AK4xxx codec

Hi Takashi,

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 12:09:05PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > I used 'amixer set "PCM Capture Gain" 20' now in s2.sh only.  Was this
> > the plan?  Result: there is now an audible crack when s2.sh is
> > executed, but the volume before and after the cracks still seems to be
> > the same.
>
> The crack doesn't matter seriously, but just the volume.

The volume is the same.

Why is everything assigned twice (e.g. first 0 then 2) in this test?

> > I also tried something else: when I alternate between
> > amixer set "PCM Capture Gain" 0
> > amixer set "PCM Capture Gain" 20
> > amixer set "PCM" 0
> > amixer set "PCM" 80%
> > and
> > amixer set "PCM" 0
> > amixer set "PCM" 80%
> > amixer set "PCM Capture Gain" 0
> > amixer set "PCM Capture Gain" 20
> > the recording has alternating load and quiete stretches.  Whatever this
> > might tell us about the ADC, it looks like a bug to me: the order of
> > setting the two controls shouldn't matter.  Or am I confused again?
>
> Well, assume that "PCM Capture" and "PCM Capture Gain" are
> independent.  If so, the above two should result in the same state.
>
> If it's not independent but the register 4 & 5 take single values
> (that was the behavior of your original implementation), the above two
> cases must make a clear difference: in the former case, the gain is
> below 0dB, and in the latter it's +10dB.  Was it so through your
> tests?

Yes, the recording had alternating load and quite stretches,
corresponding to the two settings.

So both tests seem to indicate that for the AK5365 registers 4 and 5
take only a single value.  Correct?

> Also, it's possible that I did make a silly mistake.  Put a debug
> printk around ak->ops.write() in snd_akm4xxx_write() to check what
> values are written to register 4 and 5.

I will try this in the evening.

Many thanks,
Jochen