Re: [RFC] Add dB scale information to AK4xxx codec

At Sun, 3 Sep 2006 16:53:57 +0100,
Jochen Voss wrote:

> Hi Takashi,
>
> sorry about the delay, I was travelling again.
>
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 01:38:21PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Also, I found an error in AK5365 capture gain and fixed in this patch.
> > Now there are two capture volume controls, "Capture Volume" and
> > "Capture Gain Volume".  The former is the attenuation up to 0dB, the
> > latter is IPGA (independent gain) in AK4524/4528.  Jochen, please
> > try this patch with your revo 5.1 board.
>
> I do not quite understand the new volume controls.  I think something
> is wrong, now.  What is the expected behaviour of the controls?
>
> From table 17 (page 35) of the AK5365 specs I think that IPGA and DATT
> are only separate units inside the chip, but should be treated as one
> continuous scale for the purpose of the driver.  The table looks like
> the input volume can be adjusted in steps from "mute" to +12dB.  Why
> would we want two controls here?

Actually they are treated independently in the chip.  IPGA works like
a preamp, and the total volume is IPGA + DATT.  Even if you set a
value to IPGA with MSB, say 0x82, DATT won't be changed and the old
value is kept.  And it's vice versa - if you set 0x02 later, IPGA will
stay as 0x82.  This is so, at least with AK4524 and AK4528.  Possibly
this was changed on AK5365, though...

> Also I notice the presence of a "PCM Capture Gain Capture" control,
> which looks wrong.  I can change "PCM Capture Gain Capture" on its
> own, but when I change "PCM Capture Gain", the "PCM Capture Gain
> Capture" control jumps to have the same value.

Hm, there is no "PCM Capture Gain Capture", maybe "PCM Capture Gain
Volume"?  It's IPGA.

Takashi