Re: snd-usb-audio - Driver for M-Audio Fast Track Pro

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:31:04 +0200
Thierry Vignaud <tvignaud@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Peter Oehry <peter.oehry@xxxxxx> writes:
>
> > > If the configuration needs to be changed at runtime, and if the
> > > driver cannot do this automatically, a mixer control would be the
> > > best solution.
> >
> > I have some questions to the idea of mixer control:
> > - Which controls would be appropriate to select either 16 or 24 Bit?
> > - Is it possible to make the restriction that controls can only be
> >   changed when the interface is not used?
> >
> > The windows driver has the following controls:
> > - Check or uncheck each interface [AnIn DigIn AnOut DigOut]
> > - Selection of either 16Bit or 24Bit
>
> if you can do it when a mixer element is altered, cannot this be
> triggered when the app select 16 or 24bit?

Maybe this would be possible.

The biggest problem will be, that the driver has to decide which mode it will select as soon as the first app opens a device. If the digital in is included, this input has to be the sync source. It would not be possible to run one device at 24-Bit and one at 16-Bit. It will also not be possible to open all 4 device with 24-Bits. This means that the driver has to reject the 4th connection. The mode with 96kHz should be the easiest because only one device (I belive so) can be active at a time with this rate. It is also important that if a mode is chosen all alternate setting have to be resetted to zero and set up to the chosen one. I found out, that the device gets messed up if not all alternate settings are set up.

I don't know what would be the best way to deal with this limitations. A problem might be that I do not realy know well the alsa device interace. So I do not have the overview to decied what's common and what's bad to do.

> > These controls can only be changed if the card is not used. If the
> > settings are applied all enpoints are set to altsetting 0 and then
> > the used endpoints are configured to the desired altsetting. Is such
> > a behaviour possible with alsa mixer controls?

Peter