Re: snd-usb-audio - Driver for M-Audio Fast Track Pro

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 22:22:50 +0200
Thibault Le Meur <Thibault.LeMeur@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > What I know from the manual is that the device can do
> >
> > either 4X4 (2 stereo in and 2 stereo out) in 16-Bit mode up to 48kHz
> > or 4x2 2 stereo in and 1 stero out in 24-Bit mode up to 48kHz
> > or 2X4 1 stereo in and 2 stereo out in 24-Bit mode up to 48kHz
>
> Same thing for Audiophile USB.
>

> Yes looks like it is.... you can have a look at the patch I proposed,
> you may find interresting info:
>
> http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel?cmd=changeset;node=4249e5ffdb3f;style=gitweb
>
> Regards,
> Thibault

Thank you for all this information! I'll need some time to check what is needed for the Fast Track Pro. I think there is a big chance that many things are handled the same way like Audiophile. At least the number of Channels and also the mapping of digital an analog interfaces are the same. I tried to connect directly to the 24-Bit mode after startup of the USB device and I had the same "wrong" signal on both channels. This makes me positve to believe that the byte alignement (like you described) gets mixed up after mode switching. The distortion I head on both channels could have something to do with endianess. Instead of a sine wave I had a 3rd Harmonic at level of about -55dB (in the range of one byte) and the noise level was about -80dB (the range of the second byte).

Regards,
Peter