Re: Card won't accept new sample rate?

At Tue, 29 Aug 2006 14:19:41 +0100,
Daniel James wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Here's a strange problem that's affecting at least three different
> machines running Debian, or in our case, the 64 Studio distro made up of
> Debian packages:

> This bug is not related to qjackctl, as first thought. Here are the
> steps to reproduce it:
>
> 1. Start jack on the command line at 44100Hz using the alsa backend
>
> 2. Start any jack application and see the sample rate reported as 48000Hz
>
> In fact it doesn't matter which rate you try to start jack at, the
> sample rate is always reported as 48000Hz. This bug only happens with
> the alsa backend, the oss and dummy backends work as normal.

OSS does software sample rate conversion as default.

> The problem has been observed on three different AC97 soundcards,
> running various kernels from 2.6.16 to 2.6.17. The alsa-base version is
> 1.0.11-5. However one machine with an AC97 on-board sound chipset,
> running Debian unstable, does not show the problem. Also, all these
> machines were working fine with ALSA and jack until recently.
>
> Any clues would be greatly appreciated. A machine is available on-line
> for testing if that is required - if you would like to log in to it,
> please let me know and I'll send you the IP address and login.

My wild guess is that your ac97 codec chip really supports only
48kHz.  For example, C-Media codecs do so.

Check your /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0 file, whether it
contains "VRA" in Extended ID section.  If not, it's 48k-only codec.

Takashi